Holidays can Pose Myriad Dangers for Household Pets

Posted December 12, 2018 by FrankGroff

(Leading Veterinarian Offers Advice To Keep 4-Legged Family Members Safe & Healthy)

More visits are paid to veterinarians and animal hospitals during the holidays than at any other time of the year. According to leading veterinarian Dr. Oscar Chavez, medical director of JustFoodForDogs, pet parents must be exceptionally vigilant during this time of year as familiar holiday foods and decorations can present a minefield of dangers for our furry family members.
“We see an uptick in visits to vets offices and animal hospitals during the holiday season oftentimes due to pet parents simply not being aware of the hidden dangers,” said Chavez, who cites a report by Preventive Vet revealing that many of the 17,453 cases of animals eating people food and 7,858 cases of pets ingesting other household items occur during the holidays.
Among the more common culprits:

1. STUFFING — Often made with onions, scallions and/or garlic, these ingredients are extremely toxic to dogs and cats and can cause a life-threatening anemia.
2. HAM — Can cause pancreatitis, upset stomach, vomiting and diarrhea.
3. TURKEY BONES — May puncture the stomach lining and cause a potentially fatal abdominal infection.
4. GRAPES/RAISINS — Fruit, Waldorf and Ambrosia salads often contain grapes and raisins that can cause severe, irreversible and sometimes fatal kidney failure in dogs.
5. CHOCOLATE — Accidentally dropping a piece of chocolate can be a deadly mistake should your pet get a hold of it. It’s important to note that the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is.
6. ALCOHOL — Some pet parents think it’s funny trying to get their pets drunk. Bad idea. Even in small doses, intoxication can lead to seizures, respiratory failure and death.
7. CHRISTMAS TREE WATER -- Preservatives, pesticides, fertilizers and other agents are commonly used in preserving Christmas trees so the water bowl can be a real danger. Should your pets drink it, the consequences may be harmful or even deadly.
8. ORNAMENTS –Broken glass ornaments, if ingested, can cause intestinal blockage or even toxicity and homemade ornaments, particularly those made from salt-dough or other food-based materials, are also a health hazard.

About JustFoodForDogs: JustFoodForDogs is a California-based company that invented and launched the fresh, whole-food movement for pets when it opened the first kitchen cooking nutritional food for dogs eight years ago. JFFD offers the only food on the market proven healthy by two independent universities, who conducted year-long trials proving their recipes boost the immune system of dogs in a healthy way. A team of in-house veterinarians formulates the meals using only fresh, whole-food ingredients USDA certified for human consumption, in recipes nutritionally balanced for dogs as well as cats. Available in retail locations across the country and online, the company also offers its recipes on its website enabling pet parents to prepare nutritional meals at home. To learn more, visit
-- END ---
Share Facebook Twitter
Print Friendly and PDF DisclaimerReport Abuse
Contact Email [email protected]
Issued By Frank Groff
Phone 562-225-9981
Business Address 3800 S Plaza Dr
Country United States
Categories Pets
Tags animal , california , los angeles , orange county , pets , san bernadino , san diego , san francisco
Last Updated December 12, 2018