SGS, the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company, has published an overview of recent amendments to Georgia’s technical regulation on toy safety – Resolution No. 47/2020.
Resolution No. 47/2020 contains safety requirements based on Directive 2009/48/EC, the so-called European Toy Safety Directive. (TSD). Since its publishing in January 2020 there have been several amendments, including:
• Resolution No. 753 of December 17, 2020
• Resolution No. 296 of June 23, 2021
• Resolution No. 438 of August 31, 2021
Among the provisions brought in by these resolutions:
• Toy importers must submit an ‘advance notice of toy import’ in electronic form to the Authorities for toy categories that fall under new Annexes VII and VIII and specified in Resolution No. 438/2021
• Obligations relating to the import and distribution of second-hand toys
• Establishes toy categories in Annex VII with specific items and commodity codes (HS codes), as well as toy categories in Annex VIII
• Expands the scope of ‘toys’ to include toy books, including
o Fabric books with simple pictures/drawings
o Plasticized book with simple pictures
o Pop-up books
o Coloring books
o Books with elements to touch
o Books with simple pictures/drawings and sensory elements (touch and listen)
o Books with stickers, simple pictures and text
o Books that are accompanied by a toy
Stakeholders are advised to read SGS SafeGuard 135/21 to see a complete overview of the resolutions and their impact.
SGS Toy & Juvenile Product Services
SGS offers a wide range of services to ensure that products comply with relevant standards for childcare articles and children’s equipment. They provide consulting, training, product development, testing, audit and inspection services to ensure that products comply with strict regulations worldwide, demonstrating the safety and quality of juvenile products being brought to the market. After all, it’s only trusted because it’s tested. Learn more about SGS’s Toy & Juvenile Product Services. [www.sgs.com/en/consumer-goods-retail/toys-and-juvenile-products
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Georgia Revises Technical Regulation on Toy Safety SafeGuardS. [www.sgs.com/en/news/2021/09/safeguards-13521-georgia-revises-technical-regulation-on-toy-safety]
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Dr. HingWo Tsang
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel: (+852) 2774 7420
Email: [email protected]
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 93,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.