Brazil’s new ordinance detailing the consolidated conformity assessment requirements for school articles came into effect on November 1, 2021.
Issued by the Brazilian Ministry of Economy/National Institute of Metrology, Quality and Technology (INMETRO) in October 2021, Ordinance No. 423 relates to school articles for children aged under 14 years.
It has several important provisions, including:
• Establishes a school article regulation in the form of consolidated conformity assessment requirements (Annex I) and specifications for the conformity identification seal (Annex II) – suppliers may choose Certification Model 1b (batch testing) or 5 for conformity assessment requirements
• Requires certified school articles to be registered with INMETRO
• States school articles falling under the scope of the Ordinance are subject to market surveillance activities by INMETRO and other public enforcement agencies
• Requires suppliers to provide required information within 15 days when requested by INMETRO
• Provides a list of 24 product categories that are considered as falling under the scope of school articles (Annex III)
• Requires certificates that have been issued to be revised to comply with the Ordinance in the next assessment
The ordinance also classifies school articles into three age groups:
1. More than 3 and up to 6 years old
2. More than 4 and up to 6 years old
3. More than 6 and up to 14 years old
Domestic manufacturers and importers have until December 31, 2022, to revise their conformity identification seal layout (Annex II).
Stakeholders are advised to now check their school article products conform to the latest Brazilian regulations.
SGS Consumer Product Services
SGS provides news about the development of regulations affecting consumer products as a complimentary service. With a global network of laboratories, SGS provides a wide range of services including physical/mechanical testing, analytical testing and consultancy work for technical and non-technical parameters applicable to a comprehensive range of consumer products. Learn more about SGS’s Consumer Product Services. [www.sgs.com/en/consumer-goods-retail]
SGS SafeGuardS keep you up to date with the latest news and developments in the consumer goods industry. Read the full Brazil Issues Legislation for School Articles SafeGuardS. [www.sgs.com/en/news/2021/11/safeguards-14921-brazil-issues-legislation-for-school-articles]
Subscribe here, www.sgs.com/subscribesg, to receive SGS SafeGuardS direct to your inbox.
For further information contact:
Dr. HingWo Tsang
Global Information and Innovation Manager
Tel: (+852) 2774 7420
Tel: (+55) 11 2664 9595 ext. 8060
Email: [email protected]
We are SGS – the world’s leading testing, inspection and certification company. We are recognized as the global benchmark for quality and integrity. Our 93,000 employees operate a network of 2,600 offices and laboratories, working together to enable a better, safer and more interconnected world.