What is Surrogacy?
Surrogacy is a complex procedure and is done with the involvement of a woman known as surrogate mother. In surrogacy, the surrogate mother selected for surrogacy carries a pregnancy for nine months and delivers it to the intended couples who have chosen her to do so.
Types of Surrogacy
Surrogacy is performed using two methods: Traditional Surrogacy and Gestational Surrogacy. In traditional surrogacy, the selected surrogate mother becomes pregnant using the IUI (Intrauterine Insemination) procedure, in which the surrogate is inseminated with the sperm of the father. This is a less preferred surrogacy treatment, as the child born using this technique is biologically related only to the father and not the mother.
Whereas in gestational surrogacy, the chosen surrogate gets pregnant using the IVF technique. IVF, In Vitro Fertilization is a fertility treatment in which the fertilization takes place in a laboratory. The eggs of the mother and the sperm of the father are combined and kept in a culture dish, and after fertilization occurs, it creates an embryo or embryos, which are then transferred to the uterus of the surrogate. Then, pregnancy begins and she carries the baby for nine months in her womb and delivers the baby to intended parents.
At Select IVF India, whether you choose traditional surrogacy or gestational surrogacy, we offer both the surrogacy treatment with high-quality, low-cost, and give you the desired outcome. Our fertility specialists have performed various successful surrogacy treatments and have helped many couples to achieve their dream of parenthood.
But is it legal to rent a woman for surrogacy in India?
Legal Status of Surrogacy in India
In 2002, surrogacy has become legally accepted in India and since then, a lot of people including popular celebrities have taken the advantage of the same. After a lot of work and efforts, Lok Sabha passed the surrogacy bill aimed at regulating surrogacy throughout the country but attached some conditions to it. They have made surrogacy legal, but without providing it a legislative support.
India has been the preferred destination for surrogacy for many years now. International couples are attracted to India for their surrogacy treatment because of it being offered at a low-price.
Select IVF India strictly adheres to the guidelines provided by ICMR (Indian Council of Medical Research) for the international couples wishing to get a surrogacy treatment in India.
Rules and guidelines for an international couple to get a surrogacy treatment in India are as follows:
• The couple visiting India for surrogacy must have two years of a successful marriage
• The couple must have a letter from their home country’s embassy stating and recognizing that the couple is visiting India for Surrogacy
• The intended parents should have with them a medical visa when coming to India for the purpose of surrogacy
• Indian-origin couples who have a PIO/OCI card can directly make headway towards India without needing a medical visa
• It is mandatory to have a dual agreement of understanding between the intended parents and the Indian surrogate mother hired by them for surrogacy
• After the completion of all the legal formalities and the surrogacy process, the child born through surrogacy also needs to get a medical visa
• Having fulfilled all the requirements, the next for the intended couple is to get the approval of ICMR (Indian Council of Medical Research).
All the guidelines written above needs to be fulfilled in time if the international couples wish to have a pleasant surrogacy treatment experience. Failing to fulfil any of the requirements may create a nuisance and can also lead to the cancellation of the surrogacy treatment.
We, at Select IVF India carefully follow the guidelines and advice the intended couple about the rules and regulations. So that they can have a great surrogacy treatment experience in India.